Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Relationship

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.-II Corinthians 6:14-16 The reason I started out with this passage of scripture is because I have come to see the value of following the Bible. Back in September I met a man who I thought I truly wanted to be in my life. Michael was the next to best thing that had ever happened to me (the first being my salvation of course). As I got to know him I learned that he was 13 years older than me divorced and had a kid. Well all of this worried me but I knew if we tried we could make things work. I was so naive. The more we talked the more I realized that even though he was raised as a baptist with a dad who was a baptist deacon his mom's Catholicism had made a bigger impression on him than anything else. But like some tend to do I thought well I can get him in church I can change him and fix him and it will all work out fine. But I was wrong. As much as I want him to be a part of my life I realized last month that I can't be in a relationship with him. I have always heard "be ye not unequally yoked" but I never really saw just how unequal we were until God showed me that as much as I love him we don't even agree on the basic thing need for eternal life. We don't agree on the need for salvation. If we don't agree on that then what chance is there that we can agree on anything? There's not so I realize now that if I want to be used of God I have to stand firm and not have a relationship with someone who is going to contradict me and tell me that my beliefs are wrong because in a strange way to allow that would be a form almost of verbal abuse because spiritually it would tare me down and if you tare me apart spiritually then you pulled the life out of me. So I guess my point is take it from someone who's been there don't be in a relationship where any of the points made in those three verses applies. Trust me life is so much better when you're centered on God and not on a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment